Ever notice?


While watching paranormal television, did you ever notice that no matter what color of hair people have in the daylight that everyone is Blond(e) on IR©? Literally.

I have.

Further, I noticed that the majority of paranormal research, especially as it is portrayed on television, follows an assumption based investigation model. And you know what happens when you assume...

Please pay attention to the next television show that you watch or the next investigation that you conduct. Did you assume? Bet you did. Did you acknowledge the assumption before formulating a conclusion? Bet you didn’t. I know I am guilty of it.

Guess that makes us all figuratively Blond(e) on IR©.

What I need to do right now (and I would love if you do the same) is take a step back and test as many assumptions that means will allow.

I expect to post my experiments and findings here. Please contact me with any research you have completed.

And yes, I am a blonde.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Field Test of EVP Origin

Just about every paranormal investigator has attempted to capture Electronic Voice Phenomenon (EVP). I have not met many that think about how EVPs are possible. Before we go too far, let’s define EVP:

Electronic Voice Phenomena (EVP) are anomalous, intelligible speech produced in electronic devices. They may be heard as a real-time output but are more generally heard on review of a subsequent recording. No currently understood physical processes account for the existence of EVP. http://atransc.org/journal/evp_formation.htm

The theories surrounding EVPs are many and varied. To me the theories fall in three categories:

Sound waves

The thought here is that spirits manipulate sound. Whether it be by using air pressure, white noise or some other mechanism spirits manipulate sound. For a nice write up on what sound is check here.

Electromagnetic Radiation (EMR)

Proponents of this theory state that EVPs are created by invisible energy. EMR is all around us in the form of radio waves, microwaves, gamma waves and visible light. EMR comes from the sun, our televisions, cell towers and even our microwaves. Information on the EM spectrum can be found at this (and this) NASA page.

Other

Other theories exist such as: 1) Alien transmissions are being picked up. 2) Messages from other dimensions are being picked up. 3) Our own extra sensory perception [ESP] imprint EVPs on the recorder. 4) Ghosts are using ESP imprint EVPs on the recorder. I will exclude these possibilities from the current investigation question.

As far as I can tell, there are few if no studies to support or refute any of above theories. As of this post none of the researchers I contacted--who claimed to have researched the origins of EVP or the relationship of EMR to EVP—have responded to my query. I am scratching my head as to what results, if any, they actually found. I’ll let you know if I hear differently.

So I wonder:

What is the origin of EVPs? Can spirits speak in a sound range we cannot hear without technology? Sound is a mechanical wave and can only be produced physically. Ghosts don’t have mouths, voice boxes, lungs or tongues (all involved in making sound). Also, since EVPs are often unheard until playback and ghosts don’t have voice boxes, part of me doubts if EVPs are created by sound at all. Can spirit voices be on an energy frequency that we cannot detect without technology? With so much EMR around us, are we missing out on possible spirit communication? (Thanks to Ghost Lab Radio Podcast for getting me thinking about this.)

No comments:

Post a Comment